Friday, November 18, 2011

Robyn Hitchcock

A few months ago I got really burnt out on going out dancing/clubbing and all the socializing involved.  I realized that I'm not really that much of a social animal.

Don't get me wrong.  I love going out and doing things that are social (seeing bands, dancing, restaurants, bars, etc.), but I realized that I really don't enjoy doing those things in large groups.  I'm more of a solo or small group kind of person and realized that I'll never change no matter how much I'd like to be one of those "popular" kids with tons of people around.  It's not really necessary or pleasurable for me to have to be friends with a huge clique.  It only took me 44 years to figure that out!

Anyway, I have been doing things besides working out and running!  I saw my friends Jennifer and Brian last night for the second time in two weeks.  Crazy.  We hadn't gone out together in ages, but we went to dinner and the Wild Flag show a couple of weeks ago and last night we went to Mercury Lounge before the Robyn Hitchcock show at Slim's.  

We were all interested in trying Mercury Lounge after seeing it reviewed on one of our favorite TV shows, Check, Please Bay Area.  I would probably go back again for Happy Hour since they had some good $5 appetizers that were large portions.  However, I'm not really sure about dinner.  The dishes were family style and we were told that the portions were large, which they weren't.  The food itself wasn't bad, but it wasn't memorable either.  My Cucumber Drop was tasty, but not on the Happy Hour menu ($9).  I'm wondering how their Sunday brunch would be since they have bottomless Mimosas or Bloody Marys.  You can't really go wrong with brunch, right?

Unfortunately, we got to Slim's after all the seats were taken.  Had I known that there would be tables downstairs (which I'd NEVER seen at Slim's), we would have arrived earlier.  In spite of that, we were there early enough to get situated in a good standing area where we weren't jostled.  (Usually when I'm at Slim's I'm in an area where I'm always in someone's way.)  

I hadn't seen Robyn Hitchcock in years and forgot how fantastic he is live!  He performed all of the Eye album and was just so great.  That album was recorded in San Francisco in 1988/1989, so it was really special having him coming back to San Francisco to perform it live.  He is just such a great storyteller and so witty!

Here's a video of him playing "Madonna of the Wasps" at a festival.  Last night it was just him with an acoustic guitar (with harmonica on some songs), but this will give you an idea of how great he is!




Today's my day off from work and supposed to be a training "rest" day.  I was going to go to yoga, but my legs are kind of tired this morning, so I might just do it later from one of my videos.  My training weeks start every Monday, so this is how this week (Training Week #3) is shaking out:

Monday:  Rest (I baked cookies after work!)
Tuesday:  60 minute Boot Camp + Run 3 miles
Wednesday:  Run 4 miles
Thursday:  Run 3 miles
Friday:  Rest?  Yoga?  Upper body weight workout + Yoga?
Saturday:  Run 5 miles
Sunday:  60 minutes Cross Training

Next week the mileage starts to climb again and I'm running a 10K Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving, so that should be fun.

I'm going to be better about updating here (and not being lazy about downloading photos from my iPhone), so thanks for reading! 

XOXO
Kim







No comments:

Post a Comment