Saturday, July 16, 2011

Kid Congo and the Pink Monkey Birds

I saw Kid Congo and the Pink Monkey Birds at Rickshaw Stop in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago.  Kid Congo is a music legend (click on his name for more info), so I felt lucky to be able to see him (and his current band) in such an intimate venue.  He's played with a ton of bands, including The Cramps, which is one of my favorite bands of all time.  I remember going to see them every year at their Halloween show at The Warfield in San Francisco by myself (except for once when I convinced some friends to go with me) and they were always awesome and at times, hilarious.  (Like the time Lux Interior crawled into the balcony with a blow-up doll and simulated "loving" with her just out of eyesight of the audience.  Later he was on stage and used his broken wine bottle to cut his bodysuit off his legs and accidentally cut himself and was dripping blood on the stage.  I'll never forget that show!)

Anyway, the Kid Congo show a couple of weeks ago was awesome.  They played The Cramps song "I'm Cramped," so here's a clip of him playing it at a show in 2009.  Take a listen to it even if you think you won't like it.  Kid Congo and The Cramps are really traditional rock and roll and you can really hear the 50's rock influence in their music.


What music are you listening to this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment