Saturday, August 6, 2011

Off the Grid

I finally went to Off the Grid last night.  If you live in or around San Francisco, you've probably heard of it.    It's a group of street food vendors that collect every Friday night from 5PM-10PM at Fort Mason for a few hours of great food, entertainment, and even beer and wine.  It's popularity has spawned a bunch more of these throughout San Francisco on various days and at various times.


The trucks are all in a large circle, so I first walked around to figure out what I wanted.  If you can believe it, there were already some lines and quite a few people sitting and eating already when I arrived at 5:10!  That speaks to the popularity of this event.


Eating a couple of smaller items instead of one larger item seemed like the way to go so I could try a couple of different trucks.  I started with the Yucatan at Chaac-Mool and had Conchinita Pibil taco ($4).  Looks tasty, right?

It was!  It was a small taco with pulled pork and lime.  It was full of flavor, but you can see that it was a little drippy and hard to eat sitting in a chair in the wind, so I had to eat it fast.

Next I moved on to the Chairman Bao truck, which specializes in Chinese buns (like the pork buns you get at dim sum).




I probably should have had the pork or pork belly, but since I had already eaten pork, the "new" spicy sesame chicken ($3.75) seemed like a good choice.


This was SO good!  It was easy to see why there was a line of about 25 people by the time I walked by again a few minutes later.  It was really windy and cold (summer in San Francisco), so I decided I was full.  Next time I'll try the Creme Brulee truck or get a cupcake for dessert.  (Maybe if I'm drinking alcohol I'll get a beer next time instead of water!  The Alembic had a nice little tent set up...)

Oh, I didn't stop at Curry Up Now, but I've visited their truck in the Financial District.  You have to get there really early if you don't want to wait, but if you have a chance, try their Chicken Tikka Masala burrito.  Heaven!


I got up this morning and made Baked Chocolate French Toast and then went on a 5-mile training run.  Soon I'm going to make the broiled tofu that's been marinading since last night, so I'll take a photo if it turns out well.  I also made what is supposed to be the best vegan, soy-free, gluten-free sauce on the planet, so I'll post the link to the recipe if it tastes as good as I've heard!

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment