Friday, August 5, 2011

Recipe for Oat Protein Pancake

I have another new eating obsession (besides the Overnight Oatmeal) and that's the Oat Protein Pancake (see photo in my prior post).  I ended up having this for dinner last night, too!

I got the recipe from an awesome blog called Run Eat Repeat.  Unfortunately, I can't find the exact post where she gave the recipe, but I wrote it down from her instructions.  It's really easy and filling!
  • 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup of Egg Beaters (or egg whites...it's usually the whites of 2 Large eggs)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
  • Cinnamon to taste
  • 1 tablespoon flax seed meal (optional)
I didn't have the flax seed meal, so I didn't use it, but I'm going to buy some and let you know how it goes with that.  (I saw the King Arthur brand at Safeway, so I'll probably pick it up there.)  I mixed everything well and then poured it into a non-stick pan that I sprayed with cooking spray.  Then you pretty much cook it like any other pancake.  It's kind of large, so you might make two (or get another spatula to help you turn it, which is what I did.)  You can then top with whatever you like.  I think next time I'll mix it up and use almond butter and maybe shredded coconut as a topping.  Hmmm....

No photos today because I'm posting from work (don't tell), but at least it's my early day.  I'm planning on hitting up Whole Foods for some nutritional yeast so I can make this vegan sauce that I've been reading about that can be used on almost anything.  I'm going to try to make that this weekend, so standby for photos and a recipe then! 

After grocery shopping I think I'll finally swing by Off the Grid at Fort Mason.  Off the Grid is a collection of street food vendors that serve all different types of cuisine and it happens every Friday from 5-10PM complete with music and booze (which I won't have since I'm on my "no alcohol" kick).  I've been meaning to go for ages since it's really close to my apartment, but something always comes up or else it's freezing and windy.  (Actually, it's pretty chilly today, but I think I'll take my chances and go on the early side.)  I heard they're having an Indian food vendor this week that hasn't been there before, so I might check that out.

Today's my training "Rest" day, so no workout today after a tough one at the gym last night (strength training class with hardcore shoulder and bicep reps) and a long walk home loaded down with my purse, workout bag, and a heavy bag of groceries from Trader Joe's.  I'll enjoy the break, but tomorrow I'm back at it with a 5-mile training run.  Now that I have a heart rate monitor, I've been reading up on training zones for various types of runs and realized that I just found out that I'm running way too fast on my Easy and Long Runs.  I'm going to slow it way down tomorrow.  I guess the body learns to burn the energy from fat vs. carbs if you're running at 65%-75% of the maximum heart rate on those types of runs.  Eventually, the slow run becomes faster as your body gets used to running that way.  We'll see.

Happy Friday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment